All-optical measurements of elastic constants in nematic liquid crystals
AbstractReorientation of liquid crystals induced by light is used as a method to measure elastic constants. Especially this all-optical method can determine constant connected with twist deformation, which is not easy in conventionally known methods. Experimental results show very good accuracy in comparison with other methods.
Full Text: PDF
- T. Wu, "Birefringence dispersions of liquid crystals", Phys. Rev. A, 33 1270 (1986).CrossRef
- J. Kędzierski, Z. Raszewski, J. Rutkowska, T. Opara, J. Zieliński, J. Żmija, R. Dąbrowski, "Optical Investigation of the Vector Field of Directors in the L. C. Boundaried Nematic Medium Under Electric and Magnetic Fields", Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 249, 199 (1994).CrossRef
- W.K. Bajdecki, M.A. Karpierz, "Nonlinear Optical Measurements of Elastic Constants in Nematic Liquid Crystals", Acta Phys. Pol. A 95, 793(1999).DirectLink
- L. Calero, W.K. Bajdecki, R. Meucci, "Reorientation effect induced by a CW CO2 laser in nematic liquid crystal", Opt. Comun. 168, 201 (1999).CrossRef
- I.-Ch. Khoo,S. T. Wu, Optics and Nonlinear Optics of Liquid Crystals (Singapore, World Scientific Publ. 1993). DirectLink
- Liquid crystals databas, LiqCryst 4.2, © 2002 Volkmar Vill.
- A. Piccardi, M. Trotta, M. Kwaśny, A. Alberucci, R. Asquini, M. Karpierz, A. d’Alessandro, G. Assanto, "Trends and trade-offs in nematicon propagation", Appl Phys B 104, 805 (2011).CrossRef
- Experiments done by U.A. Laudyn, M. Kwaśny and M.A. Karpierz.
- U.A. Laudyn, K. Jaworowicz, M.A. Karpierz, "Blue to deep UV light emission from a p-Si/AlN/Au heterostructure", Appl. Phys. Lett. 94, 091110 (2009).CrossRef
How to Cite
B. W. Klus, W. K. Bajdecki, and M. A. Karpierz, “All-optical measurements of elastic constants in nematic liquid crystals”, Photonics Lett. Pol., vol. 4, no. 1, pp. pp. 20–22, Mar. 2012.