Microfiber Sagnac Interferometer for sensing applications
AbstractIn this paper we propose an optical fiber-based refractive index and temperature sensor using an MNF (micro/nano fiber) inserted in a Sagnac loop interferometer . A portion of the PMF is tapered into a micro/nano dimension to increase the interactions between a guided signal and the surrounding environment. Experimental tests have demonstrated low response to temperature and high sensitivity to refractive index change of a liquid surrounding the MNF. It has been shown that the sensitivity of the setup under test to temperature decreases when a longer MNF is used. The maximum sensitivity for a refractive index achieved equals to 1068nm/RIU, which was obtained by a 4.7-mm long MNF with a diameter of 30um.
Full Text: PDF
- G. Wang, P.P. Shum, L. Tong, C.M. Li; C. Lin, "Polarization Effects in Microfiber Loop and Knot Resonators", IEEE Phot. Tech. Lett. 22, 586 (2010). CrossRef
- L. M. Tong, M. Sumetsky, Subwavelength and Nanometer Diameter Optical Fibers (Zhejiang University Press, Springer 2009).
- H. Gong, C.C. Chan, L. Chen, X. Dong, "Strain Sensor Realized by Using Low-Birefringence Photonic-Crystal-Fiber-Based Sagnac Loop" IEEE Phot. Tech. Lett. 22(16), 1238 (2010). CrossRef
- X. Dong, H. Tam, P. Shum, "Temperature-insensitive strain sensor with polarization-maintaining photonic crystal fiber based Sagnac interferometer", Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 151113 (2007). CrossRef
- C. E. Chryssou, "Theoretical analysis of tapering fused silica optical fibers using a carbon dioxide laser", Opt. Eng. 38(10), 1645 (1999). CrossRef
- K. Milenko et al., "Photonic crystal fiber tip interferometer for refractive index sensing", Opt. Lett. 37(8), 1373 (2012). CrossRef
- Y. Zong et al., "Refractive index sensing based on higher-order mode reflection of a microfiber Bragg grating", Opt. Exp. 18(25), 26345 (2010). CrossRef
- D. Wu et al., "Refractive index sensing based on Mach?Zehnder interferometer formed by three cascaded single-mode fiber tapers", Appl. Opt. 50(11), 1548 (2011). CrossRef
- X. Guo, L. Tong, "Supported microfiber loops for optical sensing", Opt. Exp. 16(19), 14429 (2008). CrossRef
- J. Zhan et al., "Highly Sensitive Temperature Sensor Using PANDA Fiber Sagnac Interferometer", J. Lightwave Technol. 29(24), 3640 (2011). CrossRef
- O. Fraz?o, J.M.T. Baptista, J.L. Santos, "Recent Advances in High-Birefringence Fiber Loop Mirror Sensors", Sensors 7, 2970 (2007). CrossRef
How to Cite
Kuczkowski, M., Ying, C., Quyen Dinh, X., Shum, P. P., Rutkowska, K. A., & Woliński, T. R. (2012). Microfiber Sagnac Interferometer for sensing applications. Photonics Letters of Poland, 4(4), pp. 134–136. https://doi.org/10.4302/photon. lett. pl.v4i4.358