Method for enhancing the resolution of holographic displays
AbstractWe present an investigation into the resolution limit and its enhancement for holographic display systems implemented by a liquid crystal on silicon spatial light modulators (SLMs). The problem of resolution of the displayed objects is connected with a limited pixel pitch of the spatial light modulator. Furthermore, it delimits the angular view-ability of reconstructed objects, which is the most important factor influencing the applicability of display systems. In this regard, we will present a solution using multiple SLMs set to work together. Such a configuration allows us to ease the resolution limit which in turn provides larger angular view-ability. A theoretical analysis based on a plane wave spectrum is presented, followed by numerical simulations, to demonstrate the utility of the concept.
Full Text: PDF
- P. Benzie, J. Watson, P. Surman, I. Rakkolainen, K. Hopf, H. Urey, V. Sainov, and C. von Kopylow, "A Survey of 3DTV Displays: Techniques and Technologies", IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol. 17, 1647-1658 (2007).[CrossRef]
- K. Maeno, N. Fukaya, O. Nishikawa, K. Sato, and T. Honda, "Electro-holographic display using 15mega pixels LCD", Proc. SPIE 2652, 15-23 (1996).[CrossRef]
- J. Hahn, H., Y. Lim, G. Park, B. Lee, "Wide viewing angle dynamic holographic stereogram with a curved array of spatial light modulators", Opt. Express 16, 12372-12386 (2008).[CrossRef]
- J. W. Goodman, "Introduction to Fourier Optics", 3rd ed. (Roberts & Company Publishers, 2004).
- N. Delen and B. Hooker, "Free-space beam propagation between arbitrarily oriented planes based on full diffraction theory: a fast Fourier transform approach", J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 15, 857-867 (1998).[CrossRef]
- K. Matsushima, H. Schimmel, and F. Wyrowski, "Fast calculation method for optical diffraction on tilted planes by use of the angular spectrum of plane waves", J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 20, 1755-1762 (2003).[CrossRef]
- J. R. Fienup, "Phase retrieval algorithms: a comparison", Appl. Opt. 21(15), pp. 2758-2769, 1982.[CrossRef]
How to Cite
S. B. Hasan and T. Kozacki, “Method for enhancing the resolution of holographic displays”, Photonics Lett. Pol., vol. 1, no. 4, pp. pp. 193–195, Dec. 2009.